Aim of study
The programme is aimed at training experts who can contribute efficiently to the operation of the system of public education and educational services. By acquiring the knowledge amassed by the science of education and by implementing it in practice, they shall be able to understand the educational processes and institutions of society in the context of a rapidly changing educational and instructional system, the growing independence of its institutions, and an increased professional and educational responsibility; and they shall be capable of participating in them under the direction of professionals. Graduates shall have acquired sound theoretical knowledge, enabling them to continue their studies at a higher level.
During their training, students can choose from the following three specializations: -educational assistant (50 credits), -instructional assistant (50 credits), -educational research assistant (50 credits). After gaining their degree, graduate students of pedagogy shall be able
– to efficiently contribute to performing educational tasks that arise in the system of public education;
– to plan and organize educational activities in their respective field of specialization under professional guidance;
– to assist the educational activities of schools in the development of educational programs, systems of examinations and evaluation;
– to interpret and assess research results and implement them in practice;
– to participate in carrying out tasks of public administration in the field of education;
– to efficiently assist in the solution of educational tasks within and without the school system;
– to professionally assess and evaluate trends and problems in the system of education, and to participate in institutional development;
– to professionally provide special educational services in their respective field of specialization;
– to fill in positions at organizations dealing with educational problems, such as schools, local governments, ministries, etc.
They shall have acquired communicative, co-operative and creative skills; they shall be competent at critically assessing their activities; and they shall have acquired value based practical problem solving skills, of a high degree.
Required number of credit points 180
System of knowledge checking
The system of evaluation is comprised of obtaining the required signatures of teachers, the grades for practical courses, taking the examinations, completing practical courses, writing a thesis and defending it before a committee, as well as taking a final examination, as specified in the curriculum. The basis of evaluation is a five grade scale with 5 being the best (excellent) and 1 being the worst (fail) mark.
Thesis: Writing a thesis on a topic related to the programme is an integral part of the training. The thesis is evaluated by a supervisor and an opponent. To write a thesis, a minimum of 30 contact hours of individual consultation are required, which count as part of the total training time.
Final examination: It is taken after the prescribed requirements of study are fulfilled, and the thesis is written and handed in.
Its elements include the defence of the thesis and a complex oral examination. The main fields of topics of the oral examination comprise the foundations of educational science, and the theoretical and practical issues concerning education, instruction, child and youth protection, and in-school and out-of-school educational activities.
Required professional practice, credit value